Windows 10 Threshold 2 - games crash

Manticore

I've recently updated my Windows 10 to Threshold Wave 2 and noticed that some games started to behave weirdly. Here's what I've noticed so far (I didn't have any of these problems before the update):

1. I can't run Colin McRae Rally 2.0 using dgVoodoo 2. The game crashes before it even displays the title screen. I can run some other games using the wrapper (like Midtown Madness 2, Driver and King of the Road).

2. I can't change graphics settings in NFS Underground 2, Most Wanted 2005 and ProStreet. If I try to change certain options from within the games, they freeze and have to be killed manually. So far I've found that running MW and PS on Intel GPU rather than on Nvidia solves the problem, also applying DXMaximizedWindowedMode compatibility fix does the trick. This doesn't work with Underground 2 however.

3. Test Drive Unlimited 2 refuses to read my saved game. When I delete my save, TDU2 starts normally. I can also restore a previous save from a backup and the game also works, at least for some time. Also when I try to change graphics settings, the game freezes, just like NFS games mentioned above.

4. Running these games as an administrator doesn't change anything. I've also tried to change privileges of registry keys which NFS games use to store graphics settings, also without result.

5. Wiping out Nvidia drivers with DDU and downgrading them also doesn't work.

6. I've checked NFSMW on my finance's laptop, which uses Radeon GPU and the problem doesn't exist there.

Can you help me? These issues are driving me nuts, and I'm starting to think that reinstalling Windows may be the only answer.

My system:

Lenovo y510p

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel HD4600 / GT755M

8 GB RAM

Is this update only for Windows insiders or did everyone get it? I didn't see anything about it yet.

I honestly don't know, I don't think many users here have Windows 10 yet, you could try to reformat and all that but I have no idea if doing so will solve any issues.

See if backing up, and then erasing the configuration settings for these games works.

The SilentPatch was already installed.

I did the analysis with Process Monitor while running NFS Most Wanted Underground 2 (sorry, my mistake) and I've got a lot of "buffer overflow" type of entries. The first one is an operation QueryNameInformationFile and in the Patch column there is the game's main executable (speed2.exe). Then there's a lot of entries leading to various dlls C:\Windows\SysWOW64 catalog, including what appears to be Nvidia driver files, winmmbase.dll, deviceaccess.dll, and some DX9 libraries. I can post a full log here if you want.

I use dgVoodoo because Nvidia Optimus doesn't work properly on Windows 10 with older games (the ones that use DX1-8). You can't force the games to run on Nvidia GPU unless you use wrappers.

But that's not the point. Judging by Process Monitor, CMR2 not launching on dgVoodoo (thus on GT755M) is exactly the same problem as inability to change graphics settings in newer games. The program shows a lot of Buffer Overflows errors which lead to files in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. Here's a log I've just made while running NFS MW (the one I posted above was actually from Underground 2, sorry for the mess).https://mega.nz/#!x8lniRoS!P6BCJ2aLrNJj9wA2huhDFtddJMl6Bi8ygYNWFt7-28k

I've just uninstalled the driver (including installing .inf files from xi.etc.zip) and still it didn't change anything. Is it possible that there are still some files left?

By the way, last night I've reset my Windows 10 to factory state. The games were running fine for some time, but now the problem is back! I don't know what happened, I've only installed the games and GPU drivers.