Hi,

I picked up Far Cry Classic on GOG a while back.  Sadly, my AMD card seems to hate this game with a passion, and I haven't found a solution as of yet.  It seems to be lighting-related, as enemies are invisible when not lit but visible when shooting (aka lit by their weapons).

If it helps, here's an annotated video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOp9r6OPd2M

I didn't know there was a 64-bit version, thanks for the heads-up.

Wait, this game's from 2004, that means it was meant for... [gag] Windows XP 64-bit... [vomit]

Can't understand why you should puke for XP x64, but let's stick to the topic.

Anyway, does it matter if you change settings in-game?

And are you using latest drivers?

While the FarCryConfigurator.exe seems to be completely worthless once you've installed the game for the first time, the in-game options worked when I set the game to High Lighting instead of Very High.  With that and the 64-bit/ECU patches, it works at a solid 90-170 FPS.  There's something odd about the water reflections, but it's nothing game-breaking.

Oh, and I also had to switch back to DirectX 9.  On the 32-bit version, DX9 gave me a black screen, and OGL gave me the display I linked earlier in the thread.  It seems you need to run OGL at least once before DX9 works.

Thanks for all the help, everything's fixed now.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Similar Content

• By bentehgray
      Although my computer can run its sequel, BlackSite, without a hitch besides having to enable vsync, I think that on certain systems, Area 51's textures are broken.
      The game starts fine, but the lighting becomes dark, and the textures become non-existent when I begin playing.
      Keep in mind, my PC specs include an AMD Ryzen processor and an RTX 2060 card. I should be able to run this game without a hitch, but no matter what I try, be it reinstalling the game, installing it in another directory, running in compatibility mode or trying the Project Dreamland version, the textures remain broken. It's a shame too, because Area 51 is a truly underrated gem and one of the better shooters of the 2000s, and I wanted to play through it again.
      Anyone have any ideas to what is happening?
    • By Waschbär
      The Remote Console is part of Crytek's CryEngine since version 3.7.0 and allows users to execute console commands or modify parameters from outside their project/game.

For normal users this tool may be useful for CryEngine games where the console has been disabled.
      Note: Certain commands (e.g. God mode) may have been disabled by the developers. Renderer/graphics commands (with "r_" prefix) should mostly work however.
    • By ThatOneReaper
      Original source: FilePlanet

This is the Far Cry Patch v1.4. It is the latest version available.

Note that this patch is for the 32-bit version of the game only. It cannot be installed for the 64-bit variant.

Here is the list of fixes and additions:

General changes
      Added remakes of assault maps
      Closed several security holes
      Joypad support has been added
      Several console commands have been deactivated and are only available in DEVMODE

Multiplayer General changes
      Added automatic kicking of team killers for violating default limit (integrated with Punkbuster)
      Added broadcast and spawn message capability
      Added center red dot to the scope of the sniper rifle
      Added command which allows the gameplay to start at a specific flag for training
      Added first person spectator view. It is considered beta and will not be officially supported
      Added GUI buttons for players to easily vote
      Added GUI voting panel to initiate votes for map changes and kicking players
      Added ingame server administrator panel for real time GUI admin capability
      Added ingame text flood kicking (integrated with Punkbuster)
      Added IP and server name to scoreboard
      Added Join server by IP function
      Added option to disable voting
      Added option to remove enemy nametags from cross-hair
      Added team kill punish and forgive system
      Fixed "CD Key In Use" issue with automatic server kick
      Fixed binocular/sniper rifle bug
      Fixed bug in mp_airstrip which lead to a server crash
      Fixed bug where players were missing their scoreboard (getting refreshed automatically now)
      Fixed gameplay issues on mp_jungle
      Fixed grenade bug
      Fixed scoreboard so that it now properly shows ping
      Increased amount of damage inflatable boat can take
      Server browser list updated for easy navigation. Many filters and a favourite server section added

Multiplayer Gameplay changes
      Added MP5 and Shocker to Assault game mode
      Added occlusive damage to vehicle explosions (player cannot die due to an explosion while behind a solid object any more)
      Fall damage reduced
      General weapons balancing
      Health and armor adjusted amongst the classes to give the Grunt the most, Engineer medium and Sniper least.
      New OICW grenade launcher interface
      New RL fire mode
      Server and client optimizations for smoother gameplay
      Stamina increased 50%
      Sticky bombs replaced with "Beta" C4
      Wrench now has melee capability

Documentation
      Features Manual for FarCry Patch 1.4 (A detailed description about the newly added features)
      Server Command Table (Lists all the new commands available for FarCry multiplayer with explanations)
      Project Fixit (A detailed explanation of changes to the stock assault maps)

• By ThatOneReaper
      Original source: FilePlanet

This is the Far Cry AMD64 / WinXP Pro x64 Enhanced Content Patch. It adds exclusive content specifically for the 64-bit version of the game.

Note that the AMD64 / WinXP Pro x64 Upgrade Patch needs to be installed first before using (a link to the patch can be found on the Far Cry wiki page).

Here is the list of additions:
      Optimized and refactored code to take advantage of 64-bit architecture.
      Two AMD64 exclusive multiplayer maps – MP_Stronghold and MP_Gorge
      Added Offset bump mapping support.
      Added higher resolution textures and objects.
      Increased some viewing distances.
      Updated the Pier level with new content.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 275 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online