Games with 30 FPS lock

I'd mention it because people expecting a high-framerate experience suddenly getting a 30FPS cap because of a low battery may get confused - especially if they've told the OS and the GPU to keep going at full power even when the battery runs low.

No, that's an optional cap (or hackable cap, with for example older source engine games). You have to enable it, and it's always on then. It's dependent from battery level

No, that's an optional cap (or hackable cap, with for example older source engine games). You have to enable it, and it's always on then. It's dependent from battery level

Since that's the case, yeah - if they enable it and are still confused...no helping them then other than telling them to revert their changes. :)

There's a high demand for the information about whether a game can reach 60 FPS (although the 'framerate police' curator project highlight 30 FPS capped games, what they are really looking for are games that can hit a 60 FPS cap).

To meet this demand we could create new fields:

60 FPS

(Rename 'High frame rate' to

Creating a list of 60 FPS games will bring in a lot of traffic.

There's a high demand for the information about whether a game can reach 60 FPS (although the 'framerate police' curator project highlight 30 FPS capped games, what they are really looking for are games that can hit a 60 FPS cap).

To meet this demand we could create new fields:

60 FPS

<120 FPS (Rename 'High frame rate' to <120 FPS)

<120 FPS - is a nice to have feature that only people with 120Hz or 144Hz monitors care about at the moment (although this could change when VR becomes mainstream later this year).

Creating a list of 60 FPS games will bring in a lot of traffic.

If things are done this way, I think we should also have a 120+ FPS field for games capable of higher framerates equal to or greater than 120 FPS; that way, games like Earth 2160 and Trackmania 2: Stadium can get recognized as completely lacking any sort of framerate caps (or, as pointed out by Garrett, framerate caps which are, by 2015 standards, absurdly high).

If things are done this way, I think we should also have a 120+ FPS field for games capable of higher framerates equal to or greater than 120 FPS; that way, games like Earth 2160 and Trackmania 2: Stadium can get recognized as completely lacking any sort of framerate caps (or, as pointed out by Garrett, framerate caps which are, by 2015 standards, absurdly high).

I don't think we need a dedicated field in Video Settings with true/false/hackable to determine whether a game has a framerate cap of 500 or 1000 or unlimited - this can just be mentioned below in the free text underneath the table as they are niche instances. We should focus on the 60 FPS and

A lot of the issues of 'too high framerate' can be mentioned in the notes field of

Skyrim could look like this:

60 FPS - true

- false, notes: Game physics don't work correctly beyond 60 FPS.

Edit:

We could unlimited framerate caps of 500/1000/unlimited in the notes field in

Won't the video table get horribly long? End up looking kinda ugly and cluttered?

60 FPS example. Something like that?​

​

​Both FPS options are always visible (as with high frame rate). ​The existing high frame rate option is supported as a fallback for 120+ FPS.

This looks great - 120+ FPS looks better than

Happy for this to go live as soon as you can implement it Garrett.

Wouldn't something like this make it look a bit less inconsistent?

AiZadiz.png

"60 FPS" is a well-known term and often searched for so is preferable to introducing an unknown term. "High frame rate" made sense at the time, partly due to the publicity of the idea regarding films.

"60 FPS" is a well-known term and often searched for so is preferable to introducing an unknown term. "High frame rate" made sense at the time, partly due to the publicity of the idea regarding films.

Yeah I think 60 FPS and 120+ FPS are good terms to use, they are very unambiguous and objective.

Template update is live now. Existing high frame rate uses work as-is. I'll migrate the easiest cases automatically.

​

​The property for 120 FPS is still called high frame rate internally for now.

Input/Frame delay would be super sweet, but I can imagine that being super hard to measure(?) 

Frame rate capping does sound like more proper thing now that 60 FPS is a thing. After all if there is some kind of hard cap, then usually HFR is false as well and most HFR fixes are for raising or disabling FPS capping. So HFR kinda already was frame rate capping option to some degree. It would be also bit more describeable for wider range of people and not only for 120/144Hz monitor owners at that point. 

Hard cap = false, optional cap = true and mention how large cap, hard cap which can be manually changed = hackable. 

At this point partial value would be nice again, if game forces the cap and only give certain amount of caps which are under 120 FPS. 

Sigh. With this recent change the FPS part of the video setttings in a lot of articles now make no sense

How so? I see almost every page have 60 FPS as unknown right now. 

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 249 Guests (See full list)