Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Nicereddy

PCGamingWiki Skin v3.0

The file total on the main page is maybe a bit misleading since this is a total of the images rather than the actual files section (I don't know whether it's possible to query the files section total).

The file total on the main page is maybe a bit misleading since this is a total of the images rather than the actual files section (I don't know whether it's possible to query the files section total).

Soeb would be able to better determine the capabilities of IPBoard in that regard, but as far as I know there's no endpoint for that. Thankfully, I don't think it's a big enough deal to be problematic for most users. We may just want to replace "Files" with "Images" since there aren't any really other types of files on the wiki itself.

Do you have a list of the other blocks we may include on the Home page? I recall discussing this at some point.

It would be nice to generate some lists of games automatically so that users can be drawn to the most popular articles at the minute, e.g.

Most visited game articles in the last 24 hours

Most visited articles all-time

Sorry for not responding to this earlier, the skin has been taking up most of my wiki time :P

Soeb and I discussed using these metrics for the Search suggestions on the home page (For example... *list of games*), but based on Google Analytics and Piwik statistics, we'd just end up with Grand Theft Auto V on the home page for months on end. These would essentially be static until a new release knocks others down a peg, so it'd be kind of useless to have them front-and-center on the home page.

Right now the blocks included are somewhat final, as I feel that the header is where your eye obviously lands upon loading, so it serves as a pretty good "Welcome" card, and includes everything we had in the previous welcome card (except for the news articles, which are outdated at this point).

Recent changes isn't included on the basis that it would break the caching, and the twitter widget would make the home page load take a bit longer (although we could always load it asynchronously), and add quite a bit to the page size which we've been working to cut down on for the last few months.

These would essentially be static until a new release knocks others down a peg, so it'd be kind of useless to have them front-and-center on the home page.

I think it would serve a purpose to automatically list the most trafficked game articles so that new releases are front and centre, if it's possible in the future.

Twitter - I don't mind not including it to save speed.

However without the sidebar showing up on mobile, we should definitely include these x2 missing things somewhere on the Home page so it's accessible from mobile:

All Games / Windows / OS X / Linux

- Recent changes

Recent changes is something that as moderator is really helpful.. but I don't really see the utility from a phone (which is only a "device for end users" imo)

Recent changes is something that as moderator is really helpful.. but I don't really see the utility from a phone (which is only a "device for end users" imo)

I think considering mobile to have users with inherently different problems and goals isn't the right way to go here. We want to have as much feature parity between desktop and mobile as possible (except editing, because that'd just become a mess even if we had VisualEditor).

I know mobile users don't have the same requirements, but it seems needless to remove 100% access from mobile when we could just add them to a Home page block.

We could fit them all inside the Statistics block and it would only take 1 or 2 lines of vertical space.

This is the analytics for the top 50 pages visited after the Home page for the last 30 days.

The Category:Windows is the most popular, and Category:Games is number 2.

Special:RecentChanges appears at number 11 - this will undoubtedly increase once the embed is removed from Home.

LToW3Q7.png

I still don't get the usefulness of Category:Windows and Category:Games pages for people..

Why would you be interested in those lists?

This is the analytics for the top 50 pages visited after the Home page for the last 30 days.

The Category:Windows is the most popular, and Category:Games is number 2.

Special:RecentChanges appears at number 11 - this will undoubtedly increase once the embed is removed from Home.

LToW3Q7.png

I still don't get the usefulness of Category:Windows and Category:Games pages for people..

Why would you be interested in those lists?

The categories pages haven't been optimized for mobile, and I wonder if people are clicking it under the assumption that it would be more useable than it is, e.g. a list of cover art? Or just clicking it because it's one of the most prominent elements on the current home page?

The categories pages haven't been optimized for mobile, and I wonder if people are clicking it under the assumption that it would be more useable than it is, e.g. a list of cover art? Or just clicking it because it's one of the most prominent elements on the current home page?

That was also my assumption (given the lack of a clear purpose)

The Editing Guide has been completed!

Now we just need to finish the Featured Articles, update the Upcoming Releases card, add a welcome card, and fix some minor bugs, then we'll be ready to launch.

Editing guide is looking very fancy now. The separate pages have made it quite manageable.

How should we work that disclaimer? I can put it in the footer below the CC-BY-SA disclaimer.

​

​Maybe something like this:

​

Some store links may include affiliate tags. Buying through these links helps support PCGamingWiki (Learn more).

Editing guide is looking very fancy now. The separate pages have made it quite manageable.

​

​Maybe something like this:

​

Some store links may include affiliate tags. Buying through these links helps support PCGamingWiki (Learn more).

Disclaimer has been added.