Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

ThatOneReaper

Editing guide

Mirh:

"This ensures that in the case of a browser crash, work is not lost."  
Actually, Firefox already saved my life tens of times. I can even save & quit it while still retaining my edit. So this may be mentioned (idk for other browsers)

Most browsers do not support this feature. Either way, the current instructions are good practice. Don't always rely on auto-save.

Spelling check. You might want to suggest browser built-in spelling check. This page add them to firefox for example

Then, what's the practical difference between Alt+Prt Scr and Prt Scr ? "On Windows, pressing Alt+Prt Scr will capture the active window only."

I'll make sure to mention these at some point.

And as I already complained once I find silly to recommend FRAPS every damn time. I mean, is there anything that it can do better than, say MSI afterburner? I'm not against alternatives, but if it's free and it has everything that the former has... why this?

I put FRAPS as an option to at least give people some choices for screen capture utilities. Can MSI Afterburner even be used for non-MSI builds?

"[...] all screenshots should be taken with possibly keyboard/mouse prompts visible or gamepad prompts visible but not both." What do you think?

There should be no preference on in-game prompts.

"If the cursor cannot be hidden completely, move it as far off to the corner as possible."  ... or take different screenshots with the cursor in different places and merge them. Besides, I believe that if you move the cursor as much as you can on the bottom right corner of your monitor it disappear.

There are some games where the cursor simply cannot be hidden for one reason or the other. There's also no reason to be asking people to do extra work just to hide a cursor.

"Before editing, make a backup of [...]" I don't know.. should we really tell this? Is there really a serious danger? And shouldn't -if this is the case- this be already part of "can operate a computer at a basic level" knowledge and common sense?

Yes we should. This is something that can be overlooked by new editors. Never assume that they can "figure it out" or "already know it".

"Once extracted, open <File Y-2> with <program name> or other <program type>." I believe the 2 things are mutually exclusive (so a slash or brackets may underline this), because you either recommend a specific program (which I guess will be the only one existing for that game) or a class of programs (like above)
Besides, I would propose a list of file that ideally we should say nothing about their opening. I mean.. .txt and .ini are the first two examples that come to my mind.

Again, never assume that people can "figure it out" or "already know it". Regardless of the file, we need to mention how to open it.

"Use the (Insert command here) command line argument" Should we say command line arguments, or parameter, or switch or..?

It's command line arguments.

"The |winehq = field is meant for [...]"  You may explain you can find the application id here

I'll add a field breakdown for the infoboxes at some point.

"Games using a digital distribution service (ex. Steam) will have that service act as the DRM." Not so fast. And this should be really underlined.

I state this because almost all digital distribution services require the game to be downloaded and played via their client. Regardless of if the game has DRM or not, forcing the use of a central client is still DRM (abit a minor one).

Speaking of the Video Settings.. contrarily to the way WSGF classifies widescreen status... if a game has a stretched image... couldn't we say "widescreen" is true, whilst "quality" is unsupported?

Stretched widescreen is not true widescreen. Set the field to "false" and state that it is stretched.

Speaking of the Audio settings instead... I feel like EAX support property should have the name changed, with something more generic. I mean... or maybe we should specify OpenAL and Aureal 3D support somewhere else (API ?)

EAX is a library that used to be present in many games and deserves its own field. OpenAL and Aureal 3D, not so much. No need to change things, the Middleware table already handles that.

And while looking at Direct IP row... I was thinking... is pressing a button to open the console really so clunky to deserve hackable tag? :/

Yes. If it's not present in the regular UI, then it's "hackable".

"(released on September 10, 2009)" This may be a bit misleading since it almost seem like in this date the 5000 series began and ended

More context on the quote?

And last but not least, where should we list something like these. I mean, they are not the usual confined fixes and are almost essential sometimes

Essential improvements (only if there are other fixes that require modifying encrypted files).

(BTW, hit the quote limit halfway through. Had to use codeboxes to keep things organized).

Speaking of the Video Settings.. contrarily to the way WSGF classifies widescreen status... if a game has a stretched image... couldn't we say "widescreen" is true, whilst "quality" is unsupported?

A stretched output is always considered incorrect for both WSGF and PCGamingWiki (there may be some erroneous entries but this is the intended handling).

WSGF rates based on whether the output has the correct aspect ratio whereas PCGamingWiki has been rating based on whether the game actually uses the extra screen space correctly. As a result, games that have the correct aspect ratio with pillarboxing (black borders on either side) will be rated differently between the two sites.

And as I already complained once I find silly to recommend FRAPS every damn time. I mean, is there anything that it can do better than, say MSI afterburner? I'm not against alternatives, but if it's free and it has everything that the former has... why this?

I put FRAPS as an option to at least give people some choices for screen capture utilities. Can MSI Afterburner even be used for non-MSI builds?

MSI Afterburner is not specific to their cards. Multiple program suggestions are crucial because there are various games that don't work with FRAPS but do work in MSI Afterburner (or vice versa). I don't know of a program that works with every game.

Key points are a bit unclear to me, I never know if I am always using them correctly.

Could some actual examples be added to the editing guide? Are certain keypoints redundant? I don't really have any examples to show right now.

It's not like I put links just for fun.

MSI Afterburner is not specific to their cards. Multiple program suggestions are crucial because there are various games that don't work with FRAPS but do work in MSI Afterburner (or vice versa). I don't know of a program that works with every game.

Actually, rivatuner has a heap of settings to display the overlay in every conceivable part of the rendering chain.

So I still don't see a point for fraps.

"Before editing, make a backup of [...]" I don't know.. should we really tell this? Is there really a serious danger? And shouldn't -if this is the case- this be already part of "can operate a computer at a basic level" knowledge and common sense?

Yes we should. This is something that can be overlooked by new editors. Never assume that they can "figure it out" or "already know it".

I'm not saying they should already know they have to take a backup. I'm saying they shouldn't take any at all (except maybe some really doubtful solution for example)

If instructions clearly state edit "bSmoothframerate".. That's it, the right thing to do is already there.

If you can mistake this.. I'm sorry for you but you'd have better to call someone else for help.

I state this because almost all digital distribution services require the game to be downloaded and played via their client. Regardless of if the game has DRM or not, forcing the use of a central client is still DRM (abit a minor one).

God may forgive soeb for that time it closed a such debated thread...

Anyway as I said.. Speaking of games that do not require the client: what consumer's right would it violate?

You still can play it wherever you like, without any background program, driver or online connection.

It's command line arguments.

Wikipedia thinks differently.

More context on the quote?

CTRL+F :*

Anyway, I was referring to the fact that ATI HD 5000 series products continued to be released for at least half a year after the initial presentation of the flagships

Actually, rivatuner has a heap of settings to display the overlay in every conceivable part of the rendering chain.

So I still don't see a point for fraps.

Again, I put FRAPS in there to give people a choice between utilities. I'll add MSI Afterburner as an option later on.

I'm not saying they should already know they have to take a backup. I'm saying they shouldn't take any at all (except maybe some really doubtful solution for example)

If instructions clearly state edit "bSmoothframerate".. That's it, the right thing to do is already there.

If you can mistake this.. I'm sorry for you but you'd have better to call someone else for help.

Whenever modifying files, it is ALWAYS a good idea to make a backup of it. There is still a chance that things can break, even if the person follows instructions exactly.

It is simply good practice. There should be no argument here.

God may forgive soeb for that time it closed a such debated thread...

Anyway as I said.. Speaking of games that do not require the client: what consumer's right would it violate?

You still can play it wherever you like, without any background program, driver or online connection.

I'm not going to start arguing the philosophical aspects of what's DRM with you. I honestly have no interest in that debate.

For the sake of simplicity, the rule stays as is.

Wikipedia thinks differently.

Command line arguments is already the standard name used in the wiki. Unless anyone else believes differently, it stays as is.

CTRL+F :*

Anyway, I was referring to the fact that ATI HD 5000 series products continued to be released for at least half a year after the initial presentation of the flagships

I'm fully aware of CTRL+F. I'm asking you for context because the quote you provided tells me nothing about what you are referring to. You don't have to be an asshole about it.

Anyways, I put the date there to give people an idea of the cutoff point where ATI becomes AMD. It doesn't matter how long the product line was being sold.

Again, I put FRAPS in there to give people a choice between utilities. I'll add MSI Afterburner as an option later on.

-.-

As I said, I have no problems with alternatives like it's the case for borderless fulscreen. But they are all free, and...  !! What the hell! Eight programs!

That would madden even me. Let alone a casual reader.

Anyway as I said.. If we really have to mention random paid tools, my vote goes to dxtory which at least as a couple of unique features compared to the mass. It's not like somebody that needs recommendations would need distributed writing... Still if I really had to pay 32$ for a program that's it.

Whenever modifying files, it is ALWAYS a good idea to make a backup of it. There is still a chance that things can break, even if the person follows instructions exactly.

It is simply good practice. There should be no argument here.

And contrariwise.. I never did backups, personally.

Anyway my point is that instead of mentioning it about 4 fixboxes per game * 3000 games = >10000 times...

it may perhaps be better to just mention common practices in common advice/troubleshooting page.

Also because if you need somebody to tell you this[to make backup if you are uncertain], perhaps problem with your game will be missing new drivers.

I'm not going to start arguing the philosophical aspects of what's DRM with you. I honestly have no interest in that debate.

For the sake of simplicity, the rule stays as is.

And instead I'm really interested in the debate. Especially after soeb closed the previous thread.. because there were actual forum activity for once

Really, that[closing the therad] just raised annoyance between people.

And it's not about simplicity, otherwise there wouldn't even be a point in specifying different DRM revisions between different game releases..

If we are talking of DRMs then, philosophy is not irrelevant..

A client with no intrinsic limitations is not a DRM. Steam API may be a drm, but that's another story, already discussed.

Command line arguments is already the standard name used in the wiki. Unless anyone else believes differently, it stays as is.

I'm not a native speaker, but as wikipedia depict it it's more like:

• command-line arguments or parameters are the other "entities" the application is going to actually deal with, like an input or output file
  • command-line options or flags or switches are modifiers of the behavior of the program, which indeed is what better matches the thingies we do

Anyways, I put the date there to give people an idea of the cutoff point where ATI becomes AMD. It doesn't matter how long the product line was being sold.

If I really wanted to be finicky, I would have said the precise date of the rebrand is 29 August 2010

But I was just saying that your sentence was a bit confused since it seems to say the entire series had been released the same day. Just that.

EAX is a library that used to be present in many games and deserves its own field. OpenAL and Aureal 3D, not so much. No need to change things, the Middleware table already handles that.

Yes, but the entire hardware DirectSound restoration issue is unknown 90% of times and we ought to think to to a plan to underline this.

Especially because 95% of times surround sound is compromised

Also, holy god: stress in all the possible way that refresh rate ≠ framerate. I really cannot stand when people tell to use vsync to lock fps, or when it seems that high fps issues should just affect those with a 120Hz screen. And it's even worse when somebody merge the two things.

Something should probably be said about when it's the case to still mantain manual tinkering instructions and when instead tool/automatic thing should be preferred altogether (or when both should coexist)

I would prefer that if both are available that both are also told. Automatic tool is always much better, but there are times when some may not want to download something, antivirus gives false positive which freaks out the user or if that tool refuses to work as intended. Maybe just have manual method collapsed if tool is available.

I would prefer that if both are available that both are also told. Automatic tool is always much better, but there are times when some may not want to download something, antivirus gives false positive which freaks out the user or if that tool refuses to work as intended. Maybe just have manual method collapsed if tool is available.

As I said on IRC... in the case of the burnout page.. if I left that stressful solution instead of just the link to the tool there must have been a reason (which I don't remember.. but probably the tool was problematic in my tests)

In the case of Batman.. well that application is incredibly efficient and really straightforward.

Ok I tried again the Burnout program and it works pretty nicely too.. I don't know then.. I may have had problems with visual basic libraries....

if this is so... I'd say manual procedure should still be kept regardless of easier ones.. Merging the fixboxes like it's done in the burnout page then may be already a way to underline that's not like the usual situation where we list some fixes which may solve the same issue in all the different cases it happens, but they are instead one exclusive of the other

Sorry I forgot to post about this earlier, on Windows 8 you can take a screenshot by holding Win+Print, the mouse cursor won't be captured. If the game is in fullscreen, the game itself might show up as black, faux borderless or borderless games should show up nicely. Win+Print takes a PNG screenshot of all the monitors. The screenshots are stored inside the Windows Images folder, I don't know what it is called in English.

W5mLvKW.png

A native Windows screenshot.

http://i3.minus.com/i4bxYOzFC7NTm.png

This might be a Windows 8 only feature though.

Should a more PCGW like color be used when taking Windows screenshots?

raveEXU.png

I tried using the actual color in the logo and it just made everything unreadable. This isn't a great color either but it's probably better than this.

20150405190105%21Desktop_Shortcut_Exampl

For Windows screenshots under 8/8.1, use a light blue colour (labeled "Colour 12" in the preset colour list). It retains the colour theme of the wiki, while ensuring high contrast with text.

It should look something like this:

Windows_8_Compatibility_Mode.png

On another note, please provide screenshots in English if possible. It limits their effectiveness with the wiki majority otherwise.

Parts of Wikipedia tips to write better pages may apply. In particular tone imo.

Albeit, I understand that when 80% of sentences say "copy this", "edit that", "run those" avoiding to use first persons is quite difficult

I think the guide is almost ready for a full release. All that is left to do (on my end anyways) is add a general section on how to properly reference in the wiki.

Nicereddy (or someone else equally talented) needs to help come up with a custom table of contents solution and some graphics for it (header and an icon for the front page at the bare minimum).

Can I get an all clear from the other editors/mods/admins?

I'll probably base the landing page off of the Codrops CSS reference. I would personally suggest splitting the page into various different sections for each content section (e.g. Video Settings, Audio Settings, Infobox, Input Settings, System Requirements, etc.) and then offering two means of navigation:

* The current full page design, with each separate content section transcluded into the page so they'll always be updated simultaneously.

* Separate pages with a "< Prev"/"Next >" design (I can handle the logistics of that if you'd like)

I suggest this primarily because the page is pretty large at the moment, and if someone wants to just see the guide for Video settings, they have to wait for everything to load and then find the section. With a central page like the CSS reference linked above, editors only need to load one small page with a list of the different sections (each linking to their respective guide pages) as well as a link at the top to the "Full Editing Guide" which would essentially just be the current editing guide as it is now.

Hopefully that would appease everyone?

I'll probably base the landing page off of the Codrops CSS reference. I would personally suggest splitting the page into various different sections for each content section (e.g. Video Settings, Audio Settings, Infobox, Input Settings, System Requirements, etc.) and then offering two means of navigation:

* The current full page design, with each separate content section transcluded into the page so they'll always be updated simultaneously.

* Separate pages with a "< Prev"/"Next >" design (I can handle the logistics of that if you'd like)

I suggest this primarily because the page is pretty large at the moment, and if someone wants to just see the guide for Video settings, they have to wait for everything to load and then find the section. With a central page like the CSS reference linked above, editors only need to load one small page with a list of the different sections (each linking to their respective guide pages) as well as a link at the top to the "Full Editing Guide" which would essentially just be the current editing guide as it is now.

Hopefully that would appease everyone?

The Codrops style is a good place to start off with.

Everything else you stated are all great ideas. I'm all for this approach.

If we really want to be fancy, we can have headers (and Table of Contents icons) for each section of the guide. But it's ultimately your decision.