What are your favourite open source engine remakes?

Andytizer

Open source remakes spring up all the time, aiming to resurrect older games to run on modern systems that they weren't originally designed to run on, and to provide the bells and whistles that current players expect. For example, Corsix-TH allows Theme Hospital to be played in high resolution on Windows, Mac and Linux. Some engines have made entire generations of games playable on modern systems, for example, ScummVM allows one to play the majority of the LucasArts' adventure games on virtually any system.

What are your favourite open source engine remakes? What worked and what didn't? What new engines in development should we be keeping an eye on?

Here's a handy list of open source engine remakes from osgameclones.com.

Click here to view the article

OpenTTD - this is basically THE way to play Transport Tycoon and enhanced the game tremendously by providing high resolution output, larger maps (64 times larger in fact) and online multiplayer. I've spent far too many hours playing this game, tremendously addictive especially with these improvements.

Most that I use are on that link from osgamesclones so I won't mention those.

Some that I use are SWP for Shadow Warrior (JFSW is another one, but SWP is a more updated fork that I prefer).

ECWolf is THE way to play Wolfenstein 3D. It's a true source port and not an attempt to get Wolfenstein running on the Doom engine.

XL Engine is worth noting as it is an attempt to be an engine replacement for multiple games that use different game engines. Development is active for Elders Scrolls II: Daggerfall and Star Wars: Dark Forces, but the goal is to also work for Blood and Outlaws

Most that I use are on that link from osgamesclones so I won't mention those.

Some that I use are SWP for Shadow Warrior (JFSW is another one, but SWP is a more updated fork that I prefer).

ECWolf is THE way to play Wolfenstein 3D. It's a true source port and not an attempt to get Wolfenstein running on the Doom engine.

XL Engine is worth noting as it is an attempt to be an engine replacement for multiple games that use different game engines. Development is active for Elders Scrolls II: Daggerfall and Star Wars: Dark Forces, but the goal is to also work for Blood and Outlaws

Dude thanks for mentioning ECWolf. I could never find any W3D source port that isn't finished or halfassed.