Jump to content

About This File

Music Wrapper

v1.2

for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and Mysteries of the Sith (1997-98) by LucasArts

 

This package bundles the best wrappers and known fixes to help get music working in both games.

For reference, both games used CD Audio for their music tracks. The modern, CD-less solution, used by resellers like GOG and Steam, is to rip the tracks to .ogg files and then supply a wrapper (a special .dll file) to translate the game's calls to play the CD tracks into calls to play the .ogg files from the hard drive, instead. Unfortunately, with newer builds of Windows that haven't been tested with the games' installed compatibility settings, that wrapper can stop working and the result is a loss of music.

This is primarily for the GOG and Steam releases of these games, since its their compatibility settings that interfere with the wrapper. You can, however, also use these instructions to get music working from the hard drive in the retail release.

 

Install:

Copy the five .dll files to your game folder, overwriting any that are already there.

If you still don't have music, perform the following steps, preferably checking music after each one:

* Verify that you have a subfolder named Music with track files named Track12[-32].ogg (JK) or Track02[-14].ogg (MotS).

If you don't (or you'd like higher quality versions):
* For JK, follow the directions at
* For MotS, follow the directions at

* Rename JK.exe (JK) or JKM.exe (MotS) to something else (ex. JediKnight.exe). This will disassociate the executable from installed compatibility settings that can interfere with music playback.

* Double-click on the provided .reg file. This will remove the compatibility settings from the registry.

* Delete/rename winmm.dll and rename winmm_alternate.dll to winmm.dll. See below for the differences between the two version.

 

Wrappers:

* Winmm.dll is Tarvis' fixed wrapper for Windows 10, dated Oct 25, 2015. Credit belongs to Tarvis.

His changelog:
-Game not starting on Windows 10
-Each level plays a track further than it should have
-Music playlist would not restart unless player stands still a few seconds/ enters then leaves esc menu
-Music volume would not change
-Music took about half a second to stop when going back to main menu/starting a cutscene
 
Source:
 

* Winmm_alternate.dll is GOG's wrapper, dated July 15, 2015. Credit belongs to GOG.

Unlike Tarvis' version, this one works with the German language pack (and, maybe, other non-English versions of the game or mods). It's possible that it's generally more compatible than Tarvis' version, but doesn't have most of the fixes. One reported issue is that the music stops playing once it's gone through all of the tracks (i.e. it won't loop back to the first track played). For that reason, it's not the default wrapper in this pack, but you may have to live with issues like that if you get no music at all with Tarvis' version.

What's New in Version 1.2   See changelog

Released

  • Added .reg file and re-wrote the instructions




User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Well, I chose to follow the instructions, and now I messed up the registry with the .reg file and I don't know what to do.  JK.exe doesn't run at all now.  It just sits idle in the background when run.  I reinstalled the application and it was still broken.  If anyone knows a definitive way to set it back, that would be nice.  

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, debrebeuf said:

Well, I chose to follow the instructions, and now I messed up the registry with the .reg file and I don't know what to do.  JK.exe doesn't run at all now.  It just sits idle in the background when run.  I reinstalled the application and it was still broken.  If anyone knows a definitive way to set it back, that would be nice.  

The .reg file that you imported shouldn't mess up the registry. It only removes entries specific to JK that should be added back when you re-install the game. Maybe the other files were the problem. Try uninstalling the game again, deleting your Jedi Knight game folder and then re-installing the game. Note that the game may still not run, not because of this wrapper or its settings or files, but simply because the game isn't very compatible with modern Windows out of the box and you may've forgotten what you did to get it running in the first place. I advise you to use my JK "unofficial patches" to get the game working again: 

 Also, if you weren't already using those, you may care to try installing this wrapper again after you do so because it's possible that the wrapper works better with it (since I used patched JK in all of my testing).

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2020 at 5:49 AM, Osprey said:

The .reg file that you imported shouldn't mess up the registry. It only removes entries specific to JK that should be added back when you re-install the game. Maybe the other files were the problem. Try uninstalling the game again, deleting your Jedi Knight game folder and then re-installing the game. Note that the game may still not run, not because of this wrapper or its settings or files, but simply because the game isn't very compatible with modern Windows out of the box and you may've forgotten what you did to get it running in the first place. I advise you to use my JK "unofficial patches" to get the game working again: 

 Also, if you weren't already using those, you may care to try installing this wrapper again after you do so because it's possible that the wrapper works better with it (since I used patched JK in all of my testing).

Sorry for being a little grouchy. 

Reinstalling the game worked and I got the wrapper running afterwards.  

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, debrebeuf said:

Sorry for being a little grouchy. 

Reinstalling the game worked and I got the wrapper running afterwards.  

No need to apologize. I didn't take you for being grouchy and actually appreciated that you were as polite as you were. Not everyone is :).

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...