Half-Life: Quality Of Life Fixes (Retail & Steam)

About This File

These DLL files contain fixes for the Steam version of Half-Life that have yet to be fixed. These were compiled from the hlfixed branch of Flying With Gauss (FWGS) HLSDK-Portable. These were not compiled by default. Latest commit as of compiling is 084c954

These fixes do not alter or add anything significant. These are small fixes that will not alter the original Half-Life experience.

The most notable fixes are:

• Crowbar will no longer "Rapid Fire" when hitting certain corpses.
  • Some viewmodel animation fixes such as timing issues or not working.
  • Tripmine beam won't be duplicated when loading into a new area.

There are other fixes applied and you can find them in the changelog on the Github page. The optional parameters are also applied.

Notes:

This will only work with Half-Life. The expansions and any mods may not work with this as they provide their own files which differ from Half-Life's.

It is unknown if this is safe for multiplayer (May trigger VAC).

Installation Instructions. Use the zip file corresponding to the version of the game being used.

==Steam Version==

1. Download the zip file for Steam. 
  2. Navigate to where Half-Life is installed (the location of hl.exe).
  3. Extract the zip in that directory. There should now be a valve_addon folder.
  4. Launch the game and go to settings. Under the video tab, check the box that says "Allow custom addon content" and click apply and OK. The game will restart.
  5. It is now installed.

==Retail Version==

Note: Backup any original files. Unfortunately the files must be replaced as the valve_addon folder does not work in retail.

1. Download the zip for Retail.
  2. Navigate to where Half-Life is installed (the location of hl.exe).
  3. Extract the archive and overwrite the valve folder.
  4. It is now installed.

What's New in Version 2.0.0   See changelog

Released

• Changed branch from master to hlfixed as it includes more fixes not in master branch.
  • Now includes a version that works with the Retail/WON version of the game. The difference is that the Steam version is built using the VGUI submodule in the Github, Retail does not use this submodule as it throws an error.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 8/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, idk said:

Instead of replacing why not put them in the valve_custom folder?

I just now saw this, Sorry. I tried that just now and It didn't work, but I didn't stop there.

I did some research and it is actually the valve_addon folder and Allow custom addon content must be checked in the settings.

I will be updating the instructions as well as compile the latest revision and provide a version that works with Retail Half-Life also when I get the chance.

Share this comment