The Outer Worlds ultrawide & superwide fix (weapons corrected)

Message added by Andytizer

10 Screenshots

About This File

Note: A standalone solution for the Spacer's Choice edition is now available.

The trainers for Microsoft, Epic, Steam and GOG game versions remove black bars from real-time rendered cutscenes, menu and dialogue screens, and correct the field of view and hands model scaling at ultrawide and wider resolutions.

1. Use software like PeaZip or 7zip to unpack the archives. The password is pcgw
  2. Run the game first, followed by the trainer, and press the button as instructed. Some delay is possible.

The mod does not address the stretching of pre-rendered cutscenes.

In order to force unsupported resolutions, edit GameUserSettings.ini and set the ResolutionSizeX= and ResolutionSizeY= values as desired - e.g. 5760 and 1080. Getting into the settings in the game will undo the changes, so make sure to have configured the game to preference prior to editing the config.

You can buy me a coffee or become a patron.
Linktree.

What's New in Version 3.0.1   See changelog

Released

3.0: A remake of the trainers with the following features and changes:

• Finally found a way to correct the viewmodel scaling and implemented the solution.
  • Fully automated the FOV correction for all scenes at all resolutions, inspired by killer-m's work.
  • Removed the now unnecessary manual FOV adjustment and display (the game supports it and more is possible through the config).
  • Removed the patchers, as they are significantly inferior to the trainers now.

3.0.1: Removed a bit of unused code.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just now, AngeredFox said:

Using companion special attack resets the FOV.  Anyway to fix?

It must be related to the ini tweak rather than the trainer or patchers. See if setting the file to read-only helps.

Share this comment

I tried that, still reset FOV when I used companion special attack and only way to fix it is completely restart game and trainer.

Thanks for the feedback. There have been other reports of the config addition resetting FOV. Do you think that the 21:9 adjustment from the trainer without the ini tweak is too narrow? You could try the 32:9 option at 21:9

Share this comment

It's definitely the engine.ini edit.  I removed that and just put the in-game FOV slider to 100(using the 21:9 fov and black bar removal trainer) and that seems to be a pretty good compromise for now.  The view isn't quite as good but at least it doesn't reset the FOV.

UPDATE:  Another thing I just realized, is that with the engine.ini edit the computer terminal screens in game were super small and could barely see them.  Without the ini edit and with the trainer at 21:9 I can see them way closer but the top of the screen is cut off.  With 32:9 FOV trainer option it shows the terminals perfectly.  I'm using a 2560x1080 21:9 monitor.  

Share this comment

Thank you very much for the trainer, pillarboxes are gone and dialogue looks good now .

Does the FOV fix solve the Ver- problem on 21:9 (3440x1440) ?

Share this comment

Just now, adeeb said:

Thank you very much for the trainer, pillarboxes are gone and dialogue looks good now .

Does the FOV fix solve the Ver- problem on 21:9 (3440x1440) ?

It does in most cases. Dialogue screens are the only parts I know of that have reduced vertical FOV but also increased horizontal FOV.

Share this comment

As the off-topic discussion have served its purpose and deteriorated past its relevance I've cleaned out the thread and locked it from further comments.

The never-ending race between malware creators and anti-malware suites means that general-purpose legitimate tools and utilities that might enable nefarious purposes can and will eventually be used as such, which will understandably trigger a response from anti-malware suites. While some AVs might just flag an individual known file as malicious, others use more general-purpose detection patterns that gets triggered on all files based on that pattern, whether they're used for malicious purposes or not.

To further complicate the matter, the last decade have also seen protection suites expand outside of their original intended use-case and started to flag other files that might be seen as inappropriate or unwanted, even if they might not be malicious to the end user per se. This can be from everything that might install ad software that runs in the background (often categories as "Potentially Unwanted Applications") or tools or utilities that allows the patching of another application (prime example being CheatEngine) as these might be in some cases used to allow the unauthorized or unlicensed use of an application.

The recent events that resulted in the retirement of the dedicated Widescreen Gaming Forum (a community dedicated to improving widescreen gaming experience in games) is a clear example of how volatile and uncertain the situation have become.

As a result PCGW can't ensure or guarantee the safety of community contributed files, and users downloading and making use of files does so at their own risk, per our disclaimer. As content on PCGW are community-created, what options are available (such as an easy-to-use tool or manual patching instructions) are up to community creators, and we welcome contributions from new as well as old community members. If anyone feels that they would rather make use of another method that's currently not documented, feel free to add it to the article for the game.

Edit 2019-11-04: Comments have opened again as more than a week have passed.

Share this comment

@tfp I don't know about that and I can't test it as I don't have it (I don't plan to buy the game a second time lol). You can try to run the patch next to the executable and see what it does.

If the name of the executable doesn't match, try to rename the exe to match the name of Epic Store. It's "IndianaEpicGameStore-Win64-Shipping.exe" (The file is about ~67MB and should be under  a "Binaries" directory somewhere).

Then run the patch and it should display either (or a mix) of these:

• Replacement succeeded
  • Replacement failed
  • WARNING: unexepected offset

If you get failures, the patch won't work for sure. But if you just have warnings (what I would expect) you can still apply the patch and it might work.

If the window closes too fast, try to run the patch in a terminal manually (it's most probably due because it can't open the executable).

Let me know the result of your experiment

Share this comment

Games shipped on the Microsoft Store are packaged as AppX packages and completely locked down. While users can read the executables, they can neither modify, write, nor remove individual files contained in the game folder.

Therefor a memory patcher is required that patches the game while in memory.

Share this comment

@Aemony I suppose it is the same for people who use the XBox Game Pass? The game is completely locked down. I will check how to achieve this because I'm actually interested in that kind of stuff. Though the trainer or Rose should work isn't it?

Share this comment

12 hours ago, bigskillet said:

there is a bug in the new trainer where when you hit something with a melee weapon the fov increases then goes back to normal.

That is true. Thanks for reporting the issue. I completely undid the update for now until I have a bit more time to fix it

Share this comment

@Rose Thanks so much for the upload, works a treat! Almost gave up hope playing this game, with the vert- they have setup it was giving me almost a car sickness feeling, could only play 5 mins at a time max before.

Share this comment

Just came back to this mod and sad to see it still doesn't work right. It still crops the screen vertically when playing in 21:9 vs 16:9.  

You can easily test this by switching from Windowed Fullscreen to Fullscreen in the game options which limits the game to 16:9 stretched.

2560x1080 Windowed Fullscreen

1918350563_tow2560x1080.thumb.png.5049ac79f860e4a0842154eef80b982a.png

1920x1080 Fullscreen (stretched)tow 1920x1080.png

Share this comment

4 hours ago, AngeredFox said:

Just came back to this mod and sad to see it still doesn't work right. It still crops the screen vertically when playing in 21:9 vs 16:9.  

You can easily test this by switching from Windowed Fullscreen to Fullscreen in the game options which limits the game to 16:9 stretched.

Both solutions result in more vertical FOV compared to 16:9. Max out the in-game FOV and take a screenshot at 16:9 without the fixes, then do the same at 21:9 after applying either of them. Moreover, even if the tools behaved the way you say, the trainer still allows for custom FOV adjustment without any limitations.

Here is native 16:9 vs 21:9 and 120 in-game FOV with the trainer "21:9" adjustment applied, no custom FOV corrections to match perfectly.

16x9.png

21x9.png

Share this comment

Weird it looks fine on yours, but when I put FOV in game to 120 it has crazy fish-eye effect, and the 21:9 option in the mod makes it even more pronounced.   I'm running 2560x1080

wut.thumb.png.b19a76ad3901d944ef98ea624b686245.png

Share this comment

Weird it looks fine on yours, but when I put FOV in game to 120 it has crazy fish-eye effect, and the 21:9 option in the mod makes it even more pronounced.   I'm running 2560x1080

You probably have the game exe patched for more FOV and you're adding even more to it with the trainer? Try verifying the game files and only using the trainer. Make sure there are no config modifications to the FOV.

Share this comment

23 minutes ago, Rose said:

You probably have the game exe patched for more FOV and you're adding even more to it with the trainer? Try verifying the game files and only using the trainer. Make sure there are no config modifications to the FOV.

Yeah you're right, I deleted all my config files in appdata and it made it a lot closer to your screenshot, there is still some fisheye and the gun is cut off but it's not nearly as bad as before.

Capture.JPG

Share this comment

Just want to be very clear on the best practices here, currently running @ 5120x1440 (32:9) on a CRG9.

Either use the trainer or the patcher not both, right?

Patcher permanently fixes black bars and boosts FOV, while trainer requires everything to be toggled after launch but can also fix crop/zoom.

Please correct if I am wrong.

The Outer Worlds Screenshot 2020.02.03 - 18.34.17.21.png

Share this comment

4 minutes ago, FreeMelania said:

Just want to be very clear on the best practices here, currently running @ 5120x1440 (32:9) on a CRG9.

Either use the trainer or the patcher not both, right?

Patcher permanently fixes black bars and boosts FOV, while trainer requires everything to be toggled after launch but can also fix crop/zoom.

Correct. The trainer is superior but I am keeping the patcher for user convenience and after a few expressed concerns about the (false) flagging of the trainer as malware by some AV vendors, similarly to every other CE trainer.

Share this comment