Need input on updating sound-related entries (DirectSound)

Satsun

Because some older games require a wrapper to enable DirectSound features (surround sound, EAX, A3D) in post-XP operating systems, I was considering creating a guide dedicated to the subject so that it could be linked when a game required such a fix. Doing a little research, I found this (http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Sound_card) page that has a good bit of the necessary information but I can't find a way to manually navigate to that page through PCGW, I found it doing an external Google search; it doesn't appear to be in any list. While manually searching the site, I found this (http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Sound) page that also has some information regarding DirectSound restoration post-XP (in the Stubs section).

To make this clear, the reason you would use Creative ALchemy, Realtek 3D SoundBack, ASUS DS3D GX, or C-Media Xear3D EX is because a game uses specific DirectSound features for audio output and those DirectSound features are no longer natively supported in post-XP operating systems. I would like to take related information from the sources above and consolidate it all into one area dedicated to DirectSound restoration. I considered making a separate guide but noticed that there is already a DirectX entry. I could either create a DirectSound entry on the DirectX page or create a completely separate guide. Basically, I'd like to relocate and add to the 'legacy audio effects' section from "Glossary:Sound card" entry to be under DirectX/DirectSound and possibly remove the information from the "Glossary:Sound" entry so as to not have duplicate information.

Any input?

Well, first sound card page should be more similar to cpu and graohocs card pages and it would have better to speak about hardware, manufacturer etc

But then.. what would remain on sound page? Just sound fixes windows which you could have on the general OS level?

And btw I did sound card long time ago.. and I always thought it needed some improvements (just after waiting to mediawiki to be updated and fixing my computer)

DirectX page could be a good place too.. Even though I don't think listing all spexific fixes there could be the best place

Anyway, ideally the first time user, when playing old games, should read PCGW page, and theoretically if the EAX support audio settings row is displayed this should link to the proper page where he should learn how to handle DS, EAX or A3D

The name would need an adjustement of course, like "legacy audio effects" or something like that

But this is what I see as the perfect world solution

In two weeks I should be able to enter the affair

Do you know how to find the "Sound card" entry through the site? Where is it located? I cannot find it by browsing, it only comes up while searching via Google.

I've been thinking about it and perhaps the 'Sound card' information can be moved to the "Sound" entry in an area dedicated to legacy audio. Anything related to surround sound, EAX, and A3D restoration in older games will most definitely fall under legacy audio. I will begin working on organizing the information. Your sound card entry has most information necessary so I'm going to build on that.

Do you know how to find the "Sound card" entry through the site? Where is it located? I cannot find it by browsing, it only comes up while searching via Google.

I've been thinking about it and perhaps the 'Sound card' information can be moved to the "Sound" entry in an area dedicated to legacy audio. Anything related to surround sound, EAX, and A3D restoration in older games will most definitely fall under legacy audio. I will begin working on organizing the information. Your sound card entry has most information necessary so I'm going to build on that.

Technically you don't restore surround sound, you would just restore DirectSound3D hardware path

Edited by Mirh
should be more accurate

• 2 years later...

So.. I'm quite in a productive (and necrophiliac) week, so why not even this thread, even if with some OT stuff.

Then Garrett is already in, so..

1) @Garrett: would it be possible to have every game with DirectSound in middleware table with a link to directsound restoration page in Essential Improvements?

2) @Satsun: do you like how it looks now?

3) Do you think recommending to rename older built-in OpenAL dlls (to use updated system ones) should be likewise considered essential?

And if yes to this last question, how far should we go? Might and should the fixbox have the instructions to even cope with cases like BF2?