How important are social media followers for PC Gaming Wiki?

​Of social media services I personally use only Twitter, I deleted my Facebook account a couple of years back. I'm wondering of anonymous followers are in anyway beneficial to anyone - I never tweet, I don't have any followers and my account is set to private. The only reason I haven't deleted my account is the willingness to "support", I've read that one Twitter/FB follower is worth of several dollars on average. An "average" follower probably means an active account with a large fanbase, though.

​

​Is there any need to keep my Twitter account around as I'm not worth more than +1 follower for PCGW? I'd like to leave the social media.

​Is there any need to keep my Twitter account around as I'm not worth more than +1 follower for PCGW? I'd like to leave the social media entirely, maybe experts on the site can share their thoughts.

I don't know, you won't change much unless you are already well known. I mean you can still follow the account if that makes you happy, I checked it now and it's kinda inactive so it's up to you. There aren't too many interesting things to tweet about anyway, the follower count will probably stay low and social media can only get you so far unless you can provide some good content or something, I have no idea.

One Twitter/FB follower is worth of several dollars on average to twitter, if any.

I don't think it is with respect to other twitter accounts though.

​If PC Gaming Wiki has an official Facebook page, I'd suggest removing it. I've understood that FB page's posts are only visible to a minor share of followers, unless you purchase a subscription. I think there are far better ways to use my donation money.

Even I have tons and tons of bot accounts following me on twitter, subscribing me on youtube, giving plus to my google posts, etc. so one follower here or there doesn't matter much. And it's much better to genuinely want to follow something instead of just keep following for support. 

​If PC Gaming Wiki has an official Facebook page, I'd suggest removing it. I've understood that FB page's posts are only visible to a minor share of followers, unless you purchase a subscription. I think there are far better ways to use my donation money.

If you simply like the official page and browse the facebook in "most popular" order, then yes, facebook does it's algorithm stuff and pushes more viral and paid status updates on top.

However users can seperately go to facebook page and check visibility on news feed to either default or "look first" which always prioritizes that particular pages posts for you. Users are also always free to use feed arranged by time instead of most popular, which I personally do, which shows all posts in order, unless someone has exclusively paid for visibility. For obvious reason facebook has been trying to hide that feature over time and always defaults back to "most popular" when going to front page. 

But like Soeb said, it's still perfectly fine to have official page to just post stuff. No money is required, unless they want to specifically advertise for people that has certain similar interests (users profiled as gamers or tech enthusiasts by facebook) that do not yet like the facebook page itself. 

We don't spend any of the money from donations on social media. We use the Facebook/Twitter/Google+/Steam pages to share news of our site and port reports, which hopefully leads to some of our fans and followers sharing it further and increasing our reach.

Is donation money used for port reports? The articles have been high quality and often surpass traditional media as the majority of online journalism is click-driven, honestly I don't have much to complain about the articles you write.

​I hope that one day you have one or more full-time editor who does nothing else but tests PC games and writes PCGW articles.

Review copies are usually supplied by the developer/publisher, but some games have been purchased by PCGamingWiki (the code source is often noted in the report). Report writers are not paid at this time (they just get a free game).

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 269 Guests (See full list)