TAA and TXAA?

Blackbird

Also if I'm not totally incorrect here, TAA means temporal antialiasing, but there are tons of differend methods using the same name? 

Pretty much, most of the time each letter means something. Generally T is for Temporal(might be some rare cases where it's used for Transparency but I haven't seen any). So if it's TAA, TXAA, SMAA T1x/T2x/1Tx those are all for Temporal AA as well as any other thing they deal with MSAA geometry(TXAA) or SMAA edge detection.

If anybody is up for this (I wouldn't and couldn't personally, sorry) I think it would even be time for a revamp, honestly.

For example, the first thing that come to my mind is distinguishing between pre- and post- processing AA

Another thing, perhaps, could be a comparison table between the features of the various SSAA, MSAA and PP methods.

Last but not least, why not crops with actual visual difference.

Well, I'm not sure I'm 'qualified' for this I know a few things but not enough, as for crops, because the main effect of Temporal AA is during movement, that cannot be captured on screenshots. Mr.Bonkers could probably do it tho.

A while ago I tried to make a video attempting to capture the effect of SMAA vs TXAA, tho it seems AC4's SMAA has some amount of temporal filtering too.
http://a.pomf.se/vyvolw.mp4

They are completely different. TXAA uses MSAA and adds a temporal filter and custom resolve filter.

I'd say TXAA's closest relative in any way is UE4's TAA, which also uses MSAA in a very basic way. Though in practice UE4 TAA is extremely poor in quality (The same can be said of Unity 5's seemingly new Temporal AA solution as well).
TXAA itself can vary depending on the game as well, due to customization on things like the filter width on resolve. But also is extremely dependent upon how well MSAA is implemented as it depends on it. Most times these days in a modern game, MSAA is of very poor quality. Corners are cut, shortcuts made to try and make it more performant while sacrificing quality. (Which is clear in the new AC game. The game already saps up performance as it is. It would just make them think it would make them look bad if 4xTXAA/MSAA made the game unplayable even on the highest end of GPU).

TAA is a bit of a misnomer as well, as that's just an ambiguous descriptor given by developers when they don't have a proper designation for their specific take on it. (Most times it is fairly poor anyway. I can count the number of games on one hand that have implemented any form of temporal reprojection for AA without poor quality and major issues.) Though, UE4's just takes that route.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 413 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online