%SystemDrive% and %USERNAME%

Do any situations exist where these could be used on the wiki? I know %USERPROFILE% is way shorter but I was just wondering.

Technically %SYSTEMDRIVE% is already used in %USERPROFILE%, that's why I guess (unless some game )
%SYSTEMDRIVE% may have some use for example here (provided we find out whether they refer to system variable or they just hard-coded C:\)

Said this I can't understand whether it's the same or not of %SYSTEMROOT%

%USERNAME% on the other hand doesn't work on my win7 and seems to append my username after every other directory listed in "path" system variable.

With default setup, they are indistinguishable from each other, after all "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\" is then same destination as  "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\" 

I actually noticed this behaviour in MGR because I tried it with my new setup and all my regular folders are under "X:\" and they are moved via legit way, so that windows variables work. MGR simply forcifully created new Documents folder and dropped its files under there instead of my actual Documents folder under X. 

Another game that had some odd behaviour when this was done was Revenge of the Titans and was actually Java bug, where %USERPROFILE% was gotten from desktop folders parent path, meaning that game dropped it's save files in the root of my X drive all the time, because desktop folder was "X:\Työpöytä\".

So indeed %USERPROFILE% may not always be used by the game if user has moved their folders around. 

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 312 Guests (See full list)