Remove unneeded general fixes from Source engine page

As pointed out by StockholmSyndrome, the Steam page is filled with truisms like verification of the integrity cache which, simply put, should not even be there since they apply to every Steam game. As such, I think it would be a good idea to re-evaluate what's on the Source Engine page as well as anything which links to it.

Edited by Expack3

Everything written there seems fine.

Sometimes mods alter some files, and when you start vanilla game it can't find them.

Or updates are not applied correctly (don't ask why, but I had this problem a couple of times)

The point with telling people to check cache is that.. you know, Source engine doesn't crash when textures are missing. It replaces them with a pink pattern.

And I guess for people it's easier to associate that with a broken graphics card rather than a issue with game resources

Sometimes mods alter some files, and when you start vanilla game it can't find them.

Or updates are not applied correctly (don't ask why, but I had this problem a couple of times)

The point with telling people to check cache is that.. you know, Source engine doesn't crash when textures are missing. It replaces them with a pink pattern.

And I guess for people it's easier to associate that with a broken graphics card rather than a issue with game resources

All this stuff can be said of any game on Steam (with the obvious exception of mods, not every game supports modding), and cache verification is such a common solution to game issues on Steam that it could be removed due to it being public knowledge. Hence why those fixes should be removed or, at the very least, be re-evaluated.

All this stuff can be said of any game on Steam (with the obvious exception of mods, not every game supports modding), and cache verification is such a common solution to game issues on Steam that it could be removed due to it being public knowledge. Hence why those fixes should be removed or, at the very least, be re-evaluated.

Yes, "check cache" can apply to every game. And indeed, in a hypothetical "general troubleshooting" guide it would be one of the first things to try.

Though, my reasoning is more or less linking a specific issue (purple and black props) with a particular cause (missing resources). Then, technically it's not even granted the problem couldn't be on the developer side too.

Then, I don't know why you opened a whole thread here, if the problem was just this single thing

Then, I don't know why you opened a whole thread here, if the problem was just this single thing

The idea was to have StockholmSyndrome, per my invitation to him, join in on the discussion and give his side; I was just proactively starting this as an introduction as I don't fully know all the problems he perceives with the Steam engine page. However, since he hasn't, I'm assuming he has no further interest in the topic. As such, I've chosen your response as the answer since without StockholmSyndrome's side, this thread, as you said, makes no sense.