Batman: Arkham Knight - PC bugs and performance

Just wanted to start up a thread for those playing Batman: Arkham Knight. Many thanks to those who have already contributed to the main wiki article of fixes.

There are reports that the game is running Denuvo DRM - what does this mean exactly?

How are people finding game performance? The game seems to be locked to 30FPS, and there is an appropriate FPS unlocker fix.

The game includes a handy PC Performance Test benchmark. It's funny how I haven't unlocked the FPS on this machine but it still reports a maximum of 53 FPS. My spec is i5-4670K 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 960 with 2GB VRAM. Here is my score with everything on max except Vsync:

At2hqhK.jpg

The framerate drops when you're driving fast, or in car combat when there's a lot of particles flying. Sometimes in melee combat as well. Aside from that almost constant 60. Game also eats 4GB VRAM easily.

GTX970+i5 4690K, 16GB RAM

Not kidding about the framerate drop, it's awful when driving, it dropped down to around 15-18 FPS. I'll give it a try on slightly lowered settings and seeing if it keeps up.

Very pretty game, amazing amount of details, great draw distances, textures etc. However everything is very 'shiny' - faces and bodies all exude drippy glossy wetness.

There are reports that the game is running Denuvo DRM - what does this mean exactly?

Ohh, nothing in particular. I mean, it's not intrusive as for example SecuROM. Iirc it only runs when you run the game

The big problem I guess, was a czech or hungarian report on the first game using this drm, that reported as this copy protection specifically, surely and clearly was the culprit for massive IO activity, things that if you have a SSD are very bad.

The problem is that of course correlation is not causation.

And that nobody else reported this kind of problem ever since.

There was a discussion here

I just can't get the game to run smoothly at all, even after turning everything down to lowest. Some areas it's 40-50 FPS which is okay, other areas like on top of a building it drops down lower. Doesn't feel satisfying to play unfortunately, may have to stop until they patch it. 

I wonder if it's possible to completely disable the Denuvo DRM, then we might get a better picture of what is going on.

Both AMD and Nvidia have released drivers for Batman: Arkham Knight, so you'll want to update if you haven't already.

​

Dragon Age: Inquisition used Denuvo Anti-Tamper and I don't recall such widespread performance complaints for that title, so DRM blame might be misplaced. The presence of a 30 FPS cap in Batman: Arkham Knight could indicate that Rocksteady don't have full confidence in the optimisation of this game. The Lords of the Fallen developers said that Denuvo Anti-Tamper only caused a 5% performance hit during their testing (they discussed this in a Twitch stream that has since been deleted).

Where to start...the game has large framerate drops frequently, including during cutscenes.  It gets MUCH worse when driving the batmobile.  There is a significant lack of graphics options so the only way to disable motion blur is through the config file.  That causes the game to crash on startup unless you also disable depth of field, which disables ALL post-processing effects including AA and I believe ambient occlusion.  Then, you will experience an instant crash when gliding unless you also disable enhanced rain.

The game also has significant chromatic aberration (WHY?!?) which I have not yet found a way to disable outside of the above method for disabling all post-processing.

Also, there's no way to change mouse sensitivity in-game, you have to do that through the config files too, and the sensitivity seems higher at the same value compared to all other UE3 games I've played.

If they get this stuff fixed my framerate is perfectly fine on a GTX 970 on max settings minus enhanced smoke and interactive paper.

However everything is very 'shiny' - faces and bodies all exude drippy glossy wetness.

That seems to be a problem with any Unreal Engine 3 game which doesn't implement their own specularity shader. It would seem Rocksteady, despite now having their own custom build of Unreal Engine 3, have not implemented this.

That seems to be a problem with any Unreal Engine 3 game which doesn't implement their own specularity shader. It would seem Rocksteady, despite now having their own custom build of Unreal Engine 3, have not implemented this.

Has it been confirmed in some way that this is really Unreal Engine 3? O.o

Also, there's no way to change mouse sensitivity in-game, you have to do that through the config files too, and the sensitivity seems higher at the same value compared to all other UE3 games I've played.

Is mouse smoothing enabled? Because that's what usually affects most UE3 games.

Also, for all with bad performance.. are you CPU or GPU limited? I mean.. it wouldn't be bad if this information was written somewhere

It's broken to the point where they are in a situation where a near-full rewrite of the port may be required - I think my edit says it all.:(. I feel really bad for those that got this game expecting a great experience on PC.

It's broken to the point where they are in a situation where a near-full rewrite of the port may be required - I think my edit says it all.:(. I feel really bad for those that got this game expecting a great experience on PC.

Indeed. It would not surprise me if the GOTY edition does just that and is done either by another team aside from Iron Galaxy or by Rocksteady themselves.