Far Cry 4 via Uplay, black screen, broken cutscenes, broken loading of game resources

Today I bought Far Cry 4 for Uplay, via humblebundle.com. So far it's been nothing but a nightmare. When I start up the game, I get loads of black screens that I can only get passed by alt-tatbing out and back in. Once I get into the game, cutscenes also suffer from black screen, and I have to alt-tab again every time I want to progress even the smallest bit. As soon as I get control of the character, in the mansion, I can explore the first couple of levels, but I'm stuck unless I alt-tab again. Then the game triggers the audio cues and the objective update. Next cutscene. Again, once I get control of my character, when I need to run to the truck, I run out into the courtyard, there is no truck, nor any enemies. I alt-tab, and bam, everything appears. 

Uplay won't update the game, and I can't find any manual download/install patches either. The only fix I see is for dual-core processors, however I have an 8-core AMD FX-8350. And even then, every link I've tried to that fix is broken anyway, file no longer exists. How on earth am I supposed to play this game?

​​The dual core patch has a wiki mirror. I don't have this game myself so I'm not familiar with this fix.

Have you tried verifying the files in the Uplay client? ​It looks like the latest update for Far Cry 4 is Patch 1.8.0. The current version number is shown in the bottom-left of the main menu.

You'd also want to ensure that your video card drivers are up to date since both AMD and Nvidia released new drivers following Far Cry 4's release.

​

​Far Cry 4 has a borderless window mode which might somehow avoid the Alt+Tab behaviour you're describing.

I haven't tried verifying the files in uplay yet, will try that now. Thanks, I didn't think of that!

I did however try the borderless mode, and my graphics drivers update automatically. I keep on top of those pretty well, making certain they do in fact update.

I'll check back in in a few, let you know if verifying the files helped.

Also, my version of Far Cry 4 is 1.1.0

EDIT:

Finished verifying, and while it fixed some corrupted files, it's still at version 1.10.0 and nothing has changed. Still no option to patch.

my graphics drivers update automatically.

And that may be your problem.

Really, graphics card driver auto-update (especially if via windows update) is one of the worst thing you could do to your pc.

Uninstall everything and install brand new ones.

Finished verifying, and while it fixed some corrupted files, it's still at version 1.10.0 and nothing has changed. Still no option to patch.

That's because last version is actually 1.10. 1.10 > 1.08

Really, graphics card driver auto-update (especially if via windows update) is one of the worst thing you could do to your pc.

My graphics card, a GTX 680 (getting a bit outdated, I know), updates via the GeForce Experience program, not Windows. Manually searching geforce.com for the most up-to-date drivers shows version 350.12, and checking my graphics card drivers shows it's version is also 350.12.

I have never heard anything about auto-updating of drivers = bad, let alone the worst thing I could do to my PC. Please explain?

That's because last version is actually 1.10. 1.10 > 1.08 

Thanks for pointing out that I made a blunder with the game versions. In all my frustration, I honestly missed that. If I don't need to worry about patching (thank god) then that at least narrows down the problem a bit.

From what I can remember those Windows drivers might possibly be slightly outdated, the auto-install feature might also leave some leftovers, I'm not sure though. I never really liked GeForce Experience, it always felt so sluggish, but I honestly doubt that's the main problem.

My graphics card, a GTX 680 (getting a bit outdated, I know), updates via the GeForce Experience program, not Windows. Manually searching geforce.com for the most up-to-date drivers shows version 350.12, and checking my graphics card drivers shows it's version is also 350.12.

I have never heard anything about auto-updating of drivers = bad, let alone the worst thing I could do to my PC. Please explain?

Ok, maybe nvidia own automatic method is fine. Perhaps..  I have no experience with this (contrarily to windows update)

Anyway, are you sure you are not running any external program that may tamper with the game?

Also, is windows updated and any other driver (eg audio)?

You may want to try to disable AV too